
She did it again! Kennady donated her hair to Locks of Love. The first time she donated her hair, the decision was difficult because her hair really was part of her identity. At six months old, her hair was already halfway down her back and she had long hair ever since. So, she was torn between wanting to keep her long beautiful hair and wanting to donate it to a little girl with cancer. We went to the locks of love website and she was able to see before/after pictures and read about how the little children felt. Kennady has such a tender heart. She always wants to help others and do what is right. So, as much as she loved her hair, she knew that another little girl needed it more than she did. At one point, after she decided to donate her hair and we had made the appointment, she came to me (very concerned) and said, "Mom...{big pause}, I really like my long hair." I assured her that we could cancel the appointment and she could keep her hair long. She told me that she wanted to think about it for awhile. So, she went into her room for a long time, quietly thinking about what she would do. When she came out, she let me know that she had kept her resolve to donate her hair. I know that it was a big sacrifice for her and I was so proud of her.
This time around, much of the apprehension was gone. She kind of knew what to expect and she also knows that her hair will grow back quickly. I think it helped that I just cut my hair short because she was excited about the prospect of having twinner hair with me :) So, on Friday evening, we met Grandpa Dave and Grandma Char (thank you for coming with us and making her night so special!) and drove out to Dolce Salon and Spa. 
Dolce is a high-end salon that offers free haircuts to people donating their hair to Locks of Love. This time, Kennady was able to donate over 12 inches of hair! 


Afterwards, we all went out to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (Kennady's choice). 
On the drive over, she leaned over to me and whispered in my ear, "I think Heavenly Father is happy with me." I am sure He is, sweet girl!
Monday, March 31, 2008
locks of love...
Posted by
Mindy
at
12:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Oh my. What innocence and pure love of others. She is proof of what a great mom you are to her.
I just love you and your fam! Way to go Kenna!
Okay, I already told you I teared up when I saw all of Kennady's hair gone at church. I love the cut and is it me or does she look older and boy does the cut make her eyes pop!
That is adorable! My goodness she is a doll!! Can I PLEASE see you in 2008? Ha ha!
mindy she is co cute and so sweet! and i love the "twinner" look. your hair is fabulous too!
Okay, that one made me cry! I'm such a sap!Kennedy, you look absolutely beautiful!
Post a Comment