Thursday, May 1, 2008

new temple...

I am about a week late posting about this, but President Monson announced two new temples last week...and both of them are in Arizona! One is in the Gila Valley and one is in Gilbert! So, my parents are super excited about their new temple and we are super excited about our new temple. The Gilbert temple will be built on Greenfield and Pecos, close to the Costco we shop at, the mall we shop at, etc. The second that I heard rumor of the new temple, I immediately felt the connection that it was MY temple. The artist rendition shows how beautiful our temple will be:



Yesterday, BJ and I attended the temple. It has been a New Year resolution for us to go monthly. We were really good about that until we started having kids and before we moved out to Queen Creek (all excuses, I know). Well, when my Mom worked at the temple, she told me of a couple who attended the temple regularly and did initiatory work. The husband would sit in the visitor's center with the kids while the wife attended the temple and then they would switch. So, that is our new system. Yesterday, BJ did initiatory work and I participated in sealings. I love the temple and am so thankful for this new determiniation we have to attend and feel of the peace available inside the temple.
One extra bonus of our new system: Karli pointed out to me the benefit of taking our kids with us. They get to see the temple often and feel of the spirit on the grounds. I hope they will understand and remember that their parents love the Lord and delight in serving Him. I have very distinct memories of my parents attending the temple. We didn't go along (that I can remember), but I remember the pink suitcase. My Mom had a little pink suitcase that she kept her temple clothes in. My favorite part was that she also kept mints in that little pink suitcase. Now, we did not get treats very often (aside from Family Home Evening treats) so it was extra special to us that we got a "temple mint" every time my parents prepared to go to the temple. I will always remember my parents devotion to the Lord.
I am so thankful for a new temple in our area!

9 comments:

Lorie said...

Even though the Mesa Temple is very close to me, I am excited for the two new Temples. The picture you posted has been emailed around as the Gilbert Temple, but it is actually the Panama City Temple. Still beautiful though! And who knows, they may look the same.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/panamacity/

http://www.lds.org/temples/main/0,11204,1919-1-30-0,00.html

Becca said...

I remember the mints too! I wish you could be here for women's conference!

Mindy said...

I know Bec! Karli and I are both so jealous of all the fun you guys are having together! A little snow even sounds fun right about now :)

Becky said...

Mindy, this post made me feel so nostalgic and miss your mom! She is a great lady..

And--I LOVE that idea for finding time to go to the temple. It has been a real struggle with 4 kids, plus we live about 40 minutes away from the temple when the traffic is bad so we always end up needing a babysitter for close to 4 hours (and there aren't a lot of babysitters around here). Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

Kelli said...

The second I saw the picture come across my e-mail Mindy Kidd I thought of you. I knew you would love it! It is YOUR temple!

Mindy said...

Becky,
We had that exact same dilemma. And, with a nursing baby, four hours is hard to come by. Plus, the cost of paying for a babysitter... I know this is stingy, but I have a hard time paying a babysitter for a temple date since I don't even get to sit by, talk to or spend that much time with BJ while at the temple. So, this new plan works great. Last time we went, after the temple we went to the library, then got pizza and went to the park. Hopefully, our kids will look forward to going to the temple too :)

Mindy said...

Yes. I am excited for my temple :) But, after getting Lorie's message, I wonder what it will really look like...

Bryn said...

Mindy, those are such great ideas about taking your kids with you to the temple and taking turns. I know children will learn so much by that example and seeing thier parents visiting the House of the Lord. I love the "temple mints". I think we might just steal those ideas! :)
We had so much fun tonight! Thank you thank you for all your hard work and doing that for us! You were truly amazing!! I can't wait to see them!!

P.S I need to see a picture of ALL your kids together!

Lorie said...

I am sure it will actually look very similar. That is the current mini temple style they are building, which is why I think so many people are using it as the example of the Gilbert Temple. It could be different, but my guess is it will be similar.

But the landscaping will probably be different. Not the same fountain, etc.