Friday, February 29, 2008

polka-dot princess...

Kennady wore her new polka-dot dress to school today. When her teacher saw her, she said, "You are a polka-dot princess today!"
Kennady is working on going to school happily. Back in January, there was a day when I had to trade cars with BJ and would not have made it back to get Kennady to school on time. So, I just decided to let her stay home for a day. Bad idea!
Ever since then, she has cried and complained and thrown fits. She is normally such a happy girl so to hear her crying and begging to stay home because she just wanted to be with me broke my heart. However, as time has gone on, it has become frustrating. I had to switch carpool routes with Sarah because when I drove in the morning, she would not get out of the car. Once, I had to physically pull her from the car, hand her over to the crosswalk assistant and drive away. I discussed the issue with her teacher. We prayed for her to have peace and feel calm and happy. BJ and I both had several talks with her. Yet, a month and a half later, the same behavior was occurring. Finally, on Wednesday, as I was pulling Kennady toward Sarah's car in the morning and forcing her in (while holding Jase), I realized that this could go on forever if something didn't change.
Sarah suggested giving her a consequence for her actions. I know you are thinking, "Duh. Give the girl some consequences." I honestly don't know why the idea had not occurred to me before. I guess I thought she was just being sad, not naughty. And maybe that was the case in the beginning. But it had evolved into bad behavior. Of course she can feel sad about having to leave home and go to school, but it is not okay to throw fits like that. So, BJ had a long talk with her that night. They decided that because she was acting out against things she didn't want to do, that she wouldn't be able to do anything she wanted to do for five days. If, in those five days, she could prove that she would have good behavior and go to school as she should, then she would be able to earn back her right to do the things she wanted to do.
I have to admit. I am pretty proud of my girl. Once BJ explained to her that her behavior was negatively affecting others, she agreed that she should have a negative consequence and has shown major improvements. For the past two days, she ran happily to the car to go to school and has not complained at all. She has also been diligently enforcing her own restrictions. Tonight, we took a family walk down to the mailbox. As we were getting ready, I told the girls to go grab their scooters. Kennady reminded me that she was not allowed to ride her scooter for three more days. That's right, my little polka-dot princess! I love you, Kennady!

2 comments:

Tressa said...

So glad she is going to school better. :) I'm sure it has been frustrating for you guys. She is such a cutie. :)

Kelli said...

I'm so impressed with Kennady! What a frustrating thing but what a positive example this has turned into for her younger siblings! She is so stinking cute! She is one of my best helpers during singing time in primary!